E. Schulhoff Symphony No. 2

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

bertderbecker
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

E. Schulhoff Symphony No. 2

Post by bertderbecker »

Hi all,

We are looking for the score of the second symphony from Erwin Schulhoff. He died in 1942 (the work were composed in 1932), so the work is in public domain.
We searched everywhere, and we just found a facsimile edited by Schott. But the prize of the score is very expensive. Is there somebody who knows where we could find a pdf ?

Best regards,

bertderbecker
Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: E. Schulhoff Symphony No. 2

Post by Eric »

Whether a work is in the public domain, and where, depends on when it was first published. It appears that the first of his symphonies to have been published was the first of 1925, way back in 1928 by Universal Edition, but after that perhaps no publications of his symphonies, I think, until that of the 5th (of his 7 completed numbered symphonies?*), published in 1965. (The 3rd (composed 1935) was published by Editio Supraphon in 1977.)

Musikproduktion Höflich has republished some of his symphonies (nos. 1 3 and 5, in fact!) recently but their publications are sometimes co-publications with those of the copyright holder rather than, as used to always be the case, reprint of uncopyrighted works. It is unclear that the 2nd of 1932 has been published except in the facsimile form you mention, and I'm... 99.44% sure we don't accept that for upload in any copyright jurisdiction, as it's owned by the publisher. I might be mistaken, though, and I'm not a copyright admin- I'm really just guessing here.

*Not counting Menschheit, Op.28/WV 48, symphony for alto and orchestra, and Landschaften, WV 44 eine Symphonie für Mezzosopran und Orchester (Op.26), both of which are available from their publisher.