Here's a First-rate Opportunity......

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Here's a First-rate Opportunity......

Post by Carolus »

....to make a new vocal score with impunity. (Sorry, I couldn't resist the urge to paraphrase from The Pirates of Penzance).

Last night, I had to mark a vocal score to Berg's Wozzeck as something that will have to be sent to digital purgatory because the arranger of the vocal score lived well past 1957, which means that his work is still protected in Canada even though Alban Berg's work is not.

The full score of Wozzeck was first issued in 1926 by everyone's favorite Viennese publisher, Universal Edition. U.E. 7382, 405 pages. I also saw a mention of another 1926 score, U.E. 7379 in 3 volumes. The edition prepared by Hans Erich Apostel (1901-1972) was issued in 1955, which probably could not be used as a basis for a new vocal score.

However, if any of the creative pianists, Finale and Sibelius users, et al could obtain one of the 1926 scores as a basis for a new piano reduction, there would probably be a lot of appreciative folks who would be very happy to have such a score available for download at IMSLP.