Lowe & Brydone F.H.986

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

yycmark
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Lowe & Brydone F.H.986

Post by yycmark »

I came across a partial score that looks interesting, but the title page is missing.

The printer is listed on the last page as:
Lowe & Brydone Printers Ltd.,London, N.W. 10

The bottom of each page is marked F.H.986

Is there any way of tracking down this score from that information?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Lowe & Brydone F.H.986

Post by Sallen112 »

What composer and piece are we talking about here?
yycmark

Post by yycmark »

That's my problem. I don't have the title page so I don't know the title of the piece or the composer.

I am assuming that the F.H.986 is a Lowe & Brydone catalog number of some type, in which case I could look it up - if I can find a catalog.

I have uploaded the last page here:

bicinium
active poster

Post by bicinium »

The print shop is often not the same company that produced the edition; the plate number matches a format used by Hösick so I assume it might be an edition of theirs. The plate number would put it somewhere in the early 20th century.
David Campbell
active poster

Post by David Campbell »

Lowe & Brydone also did some engraving for Frederick Harris. The plate number format seems consistant. Can you give us any more of the text?
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Here is Frederick Harris' F.H. 900 from 1912 for comparison. It was also engraved by Lowe & Brydone.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Do you have a printed score or is it on the web? What do the lyrics say before Hallelujah Amen?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

And isn't there a keyword e.g. Finale or Allegro that could help us on the first page?
yycmark

Post by yycmark »

Thank you everyone for your comments. When I sang in a church choir in another city 25 years ago our director gave us the last few pages of this score for us to sing at the end of special services. We jokingly referred to it as the 47 Fold Amen. I came across the "47 Fold Amen" when going through some old music that I had boxed up for storage, and it occurred to me that the choir that I am singing in now might be able to use it from time to time. I am sometimes called on to score old out-of-print music in Finale for our choir, but I like to check to make sure that the copyright has expired, and I like to properly attribute a score. My choir director from 25 years ago has passed away so that line of inquiry is closed. I have shown the Alleluia pages to several musicians, without success, but if it dates back to the early 20th century then it is not surprising that it might not be well known, and copyright is most likely expired, so I suppose that I can safely use it as-is as a fancy Amen. But it would be nice to properly attribute it, and I'd like to see the full score.