Orchestral Parts Project

Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Orchestral Parts Project

Post by kcleung »

I have found out the reasons why some logos were not removed from the first pass. I created a variant of the original script and use it for the 2nd pass logo removal (by my quad-core robotic reviewer, who works 24 hours a day 7 days a week non-stop for a full week), which will finish by tomorrow. Then I will give the processed files (with no logos) to Carolus and he can take it from there.
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

wow, great work, and thanks for your input!
kudos to your reviewer! what a work week - be careful not to get into trouble with the labor unions ;)
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Can I kindly ask the submitters of the project to maintain http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_Orchestra ... _Available ? Thanks, P
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Actually, as long as we include the little template {{OrchPartsProj}}, it should no longer be necessary to manually update that list. The template automatically adds pages to the OM category page. I will be uploading files to the FTP server very soon. There is a small issue with a metatag that should be dealt with before the files become widely available.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

That doesn't keep this particular page from getting obsolete this way... Unless the page should be abandoned completely, but other works do have parts that are not from the OML.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Couldn't we add {{Category: OM Parts}} (Or whatever I named that category...)
Or would that just add the text, and not the contents?
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

70 titles have now been spot-checked and uploaded to the FTP server. Upon accessing the server, the path is: OP Project/accepted/<Composer-Title folder>/<filename.pdf>. So, using the pURL feature of the 'old' multi-file upload page, the whole path is fcp://fileprocess/ OP Project/accepted/<Composer-Title folder>/<filename.pdf>. Keep in mind that we already have Violin and Cello / Bass parts for most, if not all titles, and many have Clarinet parts as well - thanks to the previous kind contributions by Gereroso, ras1, and Romanov76110. There's no need to duplicate what we already have. Another benefit of the earlier uploads is that the publishers of the editions scanned have largely been identified and copyright status determined for the vast majority of titles in the series. Copyright reviewers can simply replicate the tags already there for the earlier files. Uploaders should be familiar with the practice of merging the 'stack' of files into score order (Flute or Piccolo on top, Basses on bottom). Be sure to include page counts and accurate file descriptions of the parts as can be seen on any of the Beethoven Piano Concerto pages, which have already been done. The first item in the folder list, Beethoven's Choral Fantasy, Op.80, has also been uploaded - with the pURL page.

I highly recommend that you take the time to look over the files to obtain the page counts which will also enable you to see if any offending logos, etc. happened to escape the processing before uploading to the wiki. Of the aprrox. 1000 pages I've viewed so far, I've found only 2. If you find bad pages, move the file to the "rejected" folder on the FTP. More items will be added now, so we're ready to start. To Yagan, kcleung, horndude77 and everyone involved - Fantastic job!!!!
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

as mentioned before. if help is needed in checking the PDF files i'd be glad to help.

greetings
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

ok then. can't wait for the parts :D

i was wondering because Carolus mentioned that he found 2 missed pages when he checked 1000.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Carolus, have you received the DVD kcleung sent out? Where the logos on the files on the DVD?
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Post by kcleung »

Oops......... there are still logos escaped from my scripts..... sorry.

I am going to have a look at all files, but after I fix the failed files, where can I upload them? Also how can people know that the files are fixed and then remove the failed files?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Yagan, yes the DVDs are here. As I stated above, I've already uploaded 70 folders to the FTP that are ready to be uploaded to the wiki. Horndude77 has already been doing this - we now have complete parts to the Mendelssohn symphonies. In spot checking approximately 1000 pages so far, I've only encountered 2 logos - ghosts of logos really - in the transposed Horn parts for Beethoven's Egmont Overture. That's a very low error rate. I have already uploaded parts for the Beethoven Piano Concerti and am in process of doing so for the Beethoven symphonies. I have been re-named all files so they will not have any resemblance to the original names.

Kcleung, If you go to the FTP server, under the directory OP Project > failed > File problems, you can see where I've uploaded files that have a weird problem whereby the file has no images at all, but instead consists of 22 landscape blank pages. I'm fairly certain there should have been music in at least some of these files (as opposed to "tacet" pages). This is the same place, BTW, where you should upload the corrected files (in the "accepted" folder in the proper directory)
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

empty tacet pages (was Re: Orchestral Parts Project)

Post by kcleung »

Carolus wrote: Kcleung, If you go to the FTP server, under the directory OP Project > failed > File problems, you can see where I've uploaded files that have a weird problem whereby the file has no images at all, but instead consists of 22 landscape blank pages. I'm fairly certain there should have been music in at least some of these files (as opposed to "tacet" pages). This is the same place, BTW, where you should upload the corrected files (in the "accepted" folder in the proper directory)
I have had a look at those empty-page files. They are all tacet parts (see tacet_files,txt in the "File problems" subdirectory).
Files which has 22 landscape blank pages are due to the inability of pdftoimages to handle
the colored tacet pages..... so when you encounter 22 empty page files again,
*please check against the unprocessed version to ensure that they are *not* tacet before
reporting these files as failed*
kcleung
Copyright Reviewer

Post by kcleung »

Carolus wrote:Yagan, yes the DVDs are here. As I stated above, I've already uploaded 70 folders to the FTP that are ready to be uploaded to the wiki. Horndude77 has already been doing this - we now have complete parts to the Mendelssohn symphonies. In spot checking approximately 1000 pages so far, I've only encountered 2 logos - ghosts of logos really - in the transposed Horn parts for Beethoven's Egmont Overture. That's a very low error rate. I have already uploaded parts for the Beethoven Piano Concerti and am in process of doing so for the Beethoven symphonies. I have been re-named all files so they will not have any resemblance to the original names.
Hi Carolus,

I have had a look at beesym01_Clarinet.pdf which still has logos Where did you get this file from? I have checked against the version I gave you (Carolus) and my version does *not* have these logos. Also the md5 checksum does *not* match my version.

For beeove04_Horn.pdf ....... sorry, I found the ghost image. The leptonica library function left some marks after logo removal. This is the only file I saw with this obscure error. However I fixed it and reuploaded under:

/OP Project/failed/corrected/

Please strip the creator tag (I couldn't find a way to stop tiff2pdf making the creator tags) and upload the Egmont Overture!
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Are you referring to the Clarinet parts for Beethoven Symphony No.1 on the wiki? Those were uploaded last summer by Romanov76110. I don't see any logos there. The one you sent is smaller and also clean of logos. There were some metatags in Ras1's file I noticed. I'll go ahead and replace with the one you sent. I don't see any reason to worry about the tiff2pdf generated creator tags as they are not present in the original unwashed files (though lots of other stuff is!). Do you? Perhaps we should examine the files uploaded last years by Ras1, Romanov76110 and Generoso for metatags and logos. They would be simple enough to replace, yet those uploaders should retain credit for their uploads.