Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

Postby Philidor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:11 am

Hi,

I want to publish a performance edition (a new typesetting or re-engraving) of Telemann's keyboard fantasias TWV 33. IMSLP publish a public domain score here.

I don't want to make money from the project, beyond covering reasonable costs, and want it to be as freely available as the IMSLP score. I also want to make clear on the score where it comes from (IMSLP) and to pass on to those using it the same copyright obligations (or as close as I can get) which come with the IMSLP score. I'd also like to upload it to IMSLP.

I apologise - these question must have come up before - but what form of words should I use on the score to cover copyright? I assume IMSLP would want "cc by 3.0". Is that assumption correct? Do I need to write formally to IMSLP seeking permission to publish this public domain work owned by you? I'm quite happy to do that.

This is my first publication and I want to get it right, hence this post. All advice gratefully received.

Phil
Philidor
Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

Postby perlnerd666 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:53 pm

Go ahead - even if we wanted to, we can't stop you legally, as it's public domain.
perlnerd666
Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

Postby Philidor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Thank you. What copyright wording should I use?
Philidor
Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

Postby perlnerd666 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:12 am

OK, so on IMSLP, use whichever Creative Commons license works for you. If you want to publish it for money, you can just use the standard (c) 2009, etc. mumbo-jumbo.
perlnerd666
Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

Postby Philidor » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:44 am

That's great. Thanks again.
Philidor
Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

Postby reinhold » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm

Philidor wrote:I don't want to make money from the project, beyond covering reasonable costs, and want it to be as freely available as the IMSLP score. I also want to make clear on the score where it comes from (IMSLP) and to pass on to those using it the same copyright obligations (or as close as I can get) which come with the IMSLP score. I'd also like to upload it to IMSLP.


The score on IMSLP is not protected by copyright any more, there are absolutely no restrictions here. (That's what IMSLP is all about: Works of composers dead more then 70 don't have any protection any more and can be freely copied/distributed/edited, etc.)

For uploading to IMSLP, using some CreativeCommons license would probably the best.

Philidor wrote:I apologise - these question must have come up before - but what form of words should I use on the score to cover copyright? I assume IMSLP would want "cc by 3.0". Is that assumption correct? Do I need to write formally to IMSLP seeking permission to publish this public domain work owned by you? I'm quite happy to do that.


This public domain work is NOT owned by IMSLP, in fact it is not owned by anyone any more, thus "*Public* domain". There is no requirement to attribute IMSLP, but of course a link is always nice and helps spread word about IMSLP...

Cheers,
Reinhold
reinhold
forum adept
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:00 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

Postby Philidor » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:25 pm

reinhold,

Thanks for your help. 8)

reinhold wrote:This public domain work is NOT owned by IMSLP, in fact it is not owned by anyone any more, thus "*Public* domain". There is no requirement to attribute IMSLP, but of course a link is always nice and helps spread word about IMSLP...


Point taken. I was thinking of the code on your servers. That's owned by you. So you own the code but don't own the thing it represents! :lol: It gets still more complex if you're renting servers... Unless (when people upload to IMSLP) they're just lending you their code? I've not read the TOS.

Phil
Philidor
Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

Postby perlnerd666 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:43 pm

Well, the PDFs themselves are not copyrightable, because of the status of the work (yes, it's "code," but not really).
So you can do whatever - the PDFs are just images of public domain sources, and not copyrightable in and of themselves.
perlnerd666
Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Publishing a re-engraving of an IMSLP score

Postby Philidor » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:01 pm

perlnerd666 wrote:Well, the PDFs themselves are not copyrightable, because of the status of the work (yes, it's "code," but not really).
So you can do whatever - the PDFs are just images of public domain sources, and not copyrightable in and of themselves.


That gets to the root imo of the confusion in the heads of some librarians I've read about on other threads. They think because their library owns a public domain music manuscript they have the right to regulate what can be done with it. It's an aspect of capitalism if you like: it's drummed into people's heads very hard that ownership confers extensive rights which can be enforced.

The first eight re-engraved fantasias are online here. I'll upload to IMSLP in batches over the next few weeks. I can't praise IMSLP highly enough and thank you very much for your help on this thread.
Philidor
Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: London, England


Return to Copyright Related

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests