Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: IMSLP to merge with WIMA

Post by KGill »

daneuph wrote:Is there a time limit for the transfer? It may have been announced, but then it has passed by me.
No, there is no time limit. Since this is a volunteer website, it is pretty hard to set any sort of deadline :) I fully expect this project to continue well into next year, at least.
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

We may run into copyright issues with some of these WIMA pieces - specifically songs with text. I just saw a piece that is available for download with text that is still under copyright:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Apolitical_Intell ... rederic%29

Just FYI...
dhzanette

Post by dhzanette »

I will participate in the merging of WIMA with IMSLP, helping to transfer files. Cheers, Damián Zanette
dsimons
regular poster

Post by dsimons »

I plan to go through the upload procedure for the works I've contributed to WIMA, as soon as someone clarifies a few things.

1. The only way I figured out so far to get to what appears to be a "work" page is by going to a composer page, clicking "Add a piece to this page", logging in (even though at some point I asked to remain logged in all the time), filling in some info about ONE PIECE in the "Add work" special page, doing the bot-stopper arithmetic, clicking "Add", and finally getting to a page with a link "WIMA". Clicking that link takes me to another page where the questions really start. It says to "use the WIMA special file uploader linked to on the work page", but I thought that's what this page was supposed to be! Assuming it is, do I then start entering URLs, file descriptions, and page counts for up to 20 items here? Can I enter things by other composers here, even though I got here by selecting on composer and specifying a work for that composer? Or am I in completely the wrong place, in which case please explain where I should be.

2. There does seem to be an alternate path that involves selecting a PARTICULAR WORK by a particular composer, and then clicking "Add a piece to this page." I haven't explored that route yet. Is it something I need to worry about? Suppose the work I've typeset is one sonata from a set, and there's already a page for the set. Or suppose there's already a different version of the who piece. How do I proceed?

3. For either of the above routes, it still painfully unclear what you mean by keeping things grouped by contributor (rather than composer). Please explain.

4. Should I wait until you make provisions for uploading sound files? I don't want to have to later repeat steps for every one of my contributed works that I already had to do for the score. How long do you think it'll be before you can accept sound files?

5. Some of my typesets have parts in the same pdf file as the score. Is there a way to indicate that?

--Don Simons
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

icactus wrote:We may run into copyright issues with some of these WIMA pieces - specifically songs with text. I just saw a piece that is available for download with text that is still under copyright:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Apolitical_Intell ... rederic%29
I assume that if Frederic Rzewski had permission to publish the text on WIMA and keep it there - it's a major site, after all - then it will not pose a copyright issue to us.
dhzanette wrote:I will participate in the merging of WIMA with IMSLP, helping to transfer files. Cheers, Damián Zanette
Great! I've left a note on your talk page regarding the automated WIMA file submitter, which must be used to upload files for this project. It would also be helpful to add the contributor(s) you plan to transfer to the queue to make sure there is no attempted duplication of effort :)
dsimons wrote: 1. The only way I figured out so far to get to what appears to be a "work" page is by going to a composer page, clicking "Add a piece to this page", logging in (even though at some point I asked to remain logged in all the time), filling in some info about ONE PIECE in the "Add work" special page, doing the bot-stopper arithmetic, clicking "Add", and finally getting to a page with a link "WIMA". Clicking that link takes me to another page where the questions really start. It says to "use the WIMA special file uploader linked to on the work page", but I thought that's what this page was supposed to be! Assuming it is, do I then start entering URLs, file descriptions, and page counts for up to 20 items here? Can I enter things by other composers here, even though I got here by selecting on composer and specifying a work for that composer? Or am I in completely the wrong place, in which case please explain where I should be.
No, only one piece may be uploaded at one time - the information and files for each work goes on its own page. The note about the WIMA special file uploader is there because the same text is used for the normal file submitter, and the intent is to dissuade people from using that to upload WIMA files - so you were in the right place, sorry for the confusion.
2. There does seem to be an alternate path that involves selecting a PARTICULAR WORK by a particular composer, and then clicking "Add a piece to this page." I haven't explored that route yet. Is it something I need to worry about? Suppose the work I've typeset is one sonata from a set, and there's already a page for the set. Or suppose there's already a different version of the who piece. How do I proceed?
Every version and component of the piece goes on the same page (including all editions and arrangements), so you would be correct to upload one sonata to the page for the entire set. (This is accounted for on the basic-instruction page for file submission, BTW.)
3. For either of the above routes, it still painfully unclear what you mean by keeping things grouped by contributor (rather than composer). Please explain.
The phrase is not 'grouped' but 'upload systematically by contributor', which means that one should upload every edition by a WIMA contributor and mark that contributor as done, rather than uploading every work by a composer represented on WIMA and having a mess of different people's editions represented. (The exception, of course, is when the composer is also the contributor, in which case it amounts to the same thing :) ) This is to preserve the organization of knowing what contributors have and have not been transferred to IMSLP in full.
4. Should I wait until you make provisions for uploading sound files? I don't want to have to later repeat steps for every one of my contributed works that I already had to do for the score. How long do you think it'll be before you can accept sound files?
I don't know, to be honest. Our site programmer is semi-absent at the moment, but I believe that an analogous WIMA audio-file uploader to the currently available PDF uploader should appear within the next few days, at the latest. There is some extra design required to allow MIDI files on IMSLP, since they are against the current policy. Unfortunately, I cannot predict when that will come out, though I imagine it won't be too long.
5. Some of my typesets have parts in the same pdf file as the score. Is there a way to indicate that?
Yes, through use of the 'File Description' field in the upload form (i.e., 'Complete Score and Parts' rather than simply 'Complete Score').
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

It has been brought to my attention that the automated WIMA uploader now apparently accepts only the portion of the URL starting with 'scores' rather than the full URL of each file. (This is to be copied and pasted after the 'wima://' text found in each 'File' field.) I've amended the relevant section accordingly. If anyone else is having problems akin to this, please don't hesitate to notify me.
[EDIT] Looks like it was just some sort of weird intermittent bug.
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

I assume that if Frederic Rzewski had permission to publish the text on WIMA and keep it there - it's a major site, after all - then it will not pose a copyright issue to us.
The librettist for that work was a Guatemalan Revolutionary Poet who died in 1963. I highly doubt the composer has permission. Besides, when then file is uploaded on our end we are the ones "publishing" the work at that point. Shouldn't WIMA pieces have to meet the same standard as any other work? This is the kind of thing that can get IMSLP into trouble, that's why i think it's worth making explicit. Unless the work states that the composer has permission from a librettist I don't think we should assume they do. Especially since we will be the "publisher."

Anyway, this is just one example, and WIMA may have been lax about enforcing this but that's obviously not how things are done here and i think since a lot of WIMA are user submitted compositions it's important to be extra careful with where people are getting there texts from.
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

coulonnus wrote:The Misc notes template of each piece I transfer says: These file(s) were originally part of the WIMA .
A few contributors have starting contributing scores in WIMA context. For such cases the template text These file(s) were originally part of the Werner Icking Music Archive is misleading. I suggest altering the template text to These file(s) are part of the Werner Icking Music Collection
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Easily fixed in all cases by altering the template once. (That’s the beauty of templates.)

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Marc Lanoiselée

Post by Marc Lanoiselée »

I will try to transfer my own contributions.

I read "Please upload systematically by contributor, not by composer or any other method of sorting."

How to upload by contributor ?
reccmo
active poster

Post by reccmo »

Marc Lanoiselée wrote:I will try to transfer my own contributions.

I read "Please upload systematically by contributor, not by composer or any other method of sorting."

How to upload by contributor ?
Please have a look at the list of WIMA contributors on the WIMA server. The list contains all contributors having until now consented in having their scores transferred to WIMA. Click on your surname in the list to get a list of links to WIMA composer pages containing at least one score edited by you. For each of these links click on it and search for scores edited by you.
rdtennent
forum adept

Post by rdtennent »

The project page has instructions that are to be merged into How to Submit a Score. Much of the latter is irrelevant to WIMA contributions. It would be very helpful if a suitably revised and edited set of instructions were created once and for all for WIMA contributors. Thank you.

Bob T.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

rdtennent wrote:The project page has instructions that are to be merged into How to Submit a Score. Much of the latter is irrelevant to WIMA contributions. It would be very helpful if a suitably revised and edited set of instructions were created once and for all for WIMA contributors. Thank you.
Why is it irrelevant? It's just a basic set of instructions for uploading files, which is then expanded upon on the WIMA page. Frankly I'd rather have one page with the basic instructions and one page with WIMA-specific instructions than one page that duplicates more than half of the content of another.
rdtennent
forum adept

Post by rdtennent »

After spending two hours creating a submission, I find that my capcha responses are not accepted. Am I not a human? The capchas seem to be of the form
1 - 2 + 3. If I submit 123, it's rejected. If I try to submit 1-2+3, I'm not allowed to enter the final digit; I can only submit 1-2+, which of course is rejected.
I'm using Firefox 6.0.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

rdtennent wrote:After spending two hours creating a submission, I find that my capcha responses are not accepted. Am I not a human? The capchas seem to be of the form
1 - 2 + 3. If I submit 123, it's rejected. If I try to submit 1-2+3, I'm not allowed to enter the final digit; I can only submit 1-2+, which of course is rejected.
I'm using Firefox 6.0.
This type of captcha requires you to perform the math problem - so, in the example you mentioned, the correct input would be 2. :)