Mozart, Piano Sonata in c, no KWV number

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

pianoconcerto
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Mozart, Piano Sonata in c, no KWV number

Post by pianoconcerto »

Hi everyone,
Years ago I played MOZART Piano Sonatas and it happened I was using an ENGLISH AUGENER Edition edited by FRANKLIN TAYLOR published in 2 Volumes. I remember well that the last sonata in book two is a sonata number 20 in C MINOR which is not listed /known in KOCHEL VERZEICHNISS number nor NMA edition . It is NOT the sonata in c minor preceded by the Fantasy either.
Unfortunately I lost the the book (which is out of print) ; I'm trying to search for it for long time but in vain. I remember it has a beautiful menuet.
If anyone has that volume, can it be uploaded to Petrucci library, please. Perhaps the work is spurious or doubtful , but for the sake of completeness I think we should not ignore this beautiful sonata.
Thanks a lot.
steltz
active poster

Re: Mozart, Piano Sonata in c, no KWV number

Post by steltz »

Dear Pianoconcerto:

It is more helpful if the title reflects the score you are looking for. This topic needs to be moved to Score Requests, but I will wait a couple of days to make sure you see it first so you know where it's moved to. Hopefully someone will have this.
bsteltz
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

No. 20 seems doubtful, as the main canon only goes up to 17.

Edit: Whoops I missed that you said C minor.
pianoconcerto

Post by pianoconcerto »

Thanks steltz for your suggestion .
I'll post it in score requests.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

For what it's worth at this later date: the Sonata under discussion is apparently not by Mozart, but rather by one Anton Eberl. The following information courtesy of the Mozart Forum:

Issued by Artaria as Mozart's Op.31 in 1794 and by Andre as Op.47 in 1795; Pleyel added Violin and Cello for Paris issue of 1797; Artaria published Sonata in 1798 as Anton Eberl's Op.1 dedicated to Madame Madelaine de Jacobi; On July 15, 1798 Eberl gave notice in Hamburg paper he was author of 3 works printed as Mozart's.

And the following from Wikipedia's own commentary:

There was no composer whose works were more frequently passed off as Mozart's than Eberl. Even more surprising was the documented fact that there was no protest from Mozart against the use of his name on Eberl's compositions. Eberl, a friend and student of the great man, did mind but was too timid to take action until after Mozart had died. Finally, he published the following notice in a widely read German newspaper, "However flattering it may be that even connoisseurs were capable of judging these works to be the products of Mozart, I can in no way allow the musical public to be left under this delusion." Despite this, his works still continued to be published under Mozart's name.

There is an apparently PD download of the piano solo-plus-added-parts version (identified as Eberl's Piano Sonata #1) on scorser.com. Otherwise, Christopher Hogwood's HH Publications has issued it as HH175, although the distributor of Hogwood's editions seems to be affiliated somehow with Schott, although I see no listing in the Schott catalog.

By the way, the scorser.com PDF shows no minuet; perhaps the 6/8 finale is the movement remembered fondly...
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

Thank you jossuk for the detailed information. But no need to refer to "scorser.com" if you get linked back from scorser to the work on imslp. :)

The Augener edition of this sonata is now up - enjoy.
http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata,_Op.1_(Eberl,_Anton)

To make it easier to find I added a link in the Mozart "worklist by genre", and also tried my best to put a workpage for Piano_Sonata_No._20_in_C_Minor_K.deest._(Mozart,_Wolfgang_Amadeus) on the Mozart page with a redirect to Anton Eberl.
Is any of he moderators able to tell me, why this does not show??
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

I'm not sure why it isn't showing up in the list of scores in the Mozart category, as we successfully use these 'soft redirects' elsewhere in the Wiki for works formerly believed to have been composed by someone else. Anyway, I've added a notice to the Eberl page about the change of attribution, which is something else we do in this situation.
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

Well, I finally found it on the Mozart composer page:

There are now two Piano Sonatas that sort before :o Piano Concertos - weird!
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

That's definitely weird! :o :o