'I Vow to thee my country'

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Sfan00
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

'I Vow to thee my country'

Post by Sfan00 »

I am making a request for this on the basis that according to current searches made by myself, the original 1921 arrangement by Holst is public domain
( The original edition seems to have been published by Curwen.)

(However, it should be noted that subsequent arrangements, might not be Public Domain.)
jossuk
active poster

Re: 'I Vow to thee my country'

Post by jossuk »

Unison choral version currently available from Hal Leonard, $1.80, catalog # HL 50312630...
Sfan00
regular poster

Post by Sfan00 »

jossuk wrote:Unison choral version currently available from Hal Leonard, $1.80, catalog # HL 50312630...
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind:)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The work is public domain in the USA, Canada and the EU. Post away. Be sure to list it under The Planets when uploading, as it is an arrangement made from the "Jupiter" movement.
Sfan00
regular poster

Post by Sfan00 »

http://musescore.com/user/2030/scores/21064 over on MuseScore :)

Can someone copyright review and get back to me?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

A few points about the item you linked to:

1. This is an arrangement for 2 trumpets and organ made by someone other than Holst. The arrangement could easily be under copyright.

2. Even if the arrangement referenced above was made by someone who died before 1962 and was first published before 1923, the linked score is a recent typeset or edition and therefore not postable here without the editor or typesetter's written permission or sufficient evidence that the edition was released under a creative commons or similar free license.

3. Fortunately, the words are by an author who is public domain in most of the world - Cecil Spring-Rice (1859-1918). If Spring-Rice had lived until 1949, the text would still be under copyright in the EU and other 70 pma countries. This is a good illustration of how even a well-known work has more than one contributor. Holst (1874-1934) took his own tune from the "Jupiter" movement of The Planets and adapted it to Spring-Rice's text. This arrangement - for unison voices and orchestra - was probably first performed at a commemorative service in 1921 and published by Curwen in 1921 or 1922 (along with Parry's Jerusalem).

4. Host expanded and reworked the piece into a hymn entitled "Thaxted" later for inclusion in the collection Songs of Praise, edited by his friend Ralph Vaughan Williams. This collection was first published in 1926 and could be protected in the USA until 2022 - including the "Thaxted" arrangement.
Sfan00
regular poster

Post by Sfan00 »

Carolus wrote:A few points about the item you linked to:

1. This is an arrangement for 2 trumpets and organ made by someone other than Holst. The arrangement could easily be under copyright.

2. Even if the arrangement referenced above was made by someone who died before 1962 and was first published before 1923, the linked score is a recent typeset or edition and therefore not postable here without the editor or typesetter's written permission or sufficient evidence that the edition was released under a creative commons or similar free license.
Link is now dead (403) and needs to removed. Sorry.
Sfan00
regular poster

Post by Sfan00 »

http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/i/v/o/ivow2the.htm - PDF (Claims to be PD, but asks for attribution)
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/Holst ... ed-let.pdf - Claims to be PD

Given the issues identified with the version on the Musescore arrangment, I'd appreciate someone looking over these as well.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

If I read correctly, in both instances the music doesn't appear in the same document as the words. It just might be a sneaky way of getting around any applicable legal issues...