Composer-page building

Moderator: kcleung

Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Composer-page building

Post by Peter M. Armstrong »

I have submitted an "Add a composer" form and am now in my "Category..." page preparing to flesh it out.
Under "How to edit this template" I see a hefty list of editing statements (of the form "|<name>=<value")
but no identification as to which _file_ these are meant to edit. What is that?
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

Re: Composer-page building

On page "Add Work", input fields blot out much of the instructions. Is there a way to see instead?

Sorry, IGNORE this question. The text is fully visible -- if painfully tiny -- once I zoom out to 75%.
Last edited by Peter M. Armstrong on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

My Composer page, begun yesterday, IMSLP has deleted. Just how much time I will need to bring it to presentable
status, I have no idea. What sort of temporary place-holder can I put in there meanwhile, to keep your system from
flagging the page as empty?
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

I gather that new works must be contributed via "Add Work". That page, however, mandates public-domain
status and GNU Free Doc Loc 1.2. I want instead Creative Commons BY-NC-ND. How am I to proceed?
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Hello Peter. The page you need to edit is your own composer category page:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Armstron ... r_McKenzie

You'll see that it currently has the following text:

Code: Select all

{{#fte:person
|Born Year=1940|Born Month=3|Born Day=12
|Died Year=|Died Month=|Died Day=
|Time Period=Modern
|Biography Link=
}}
If you want to add your nationality, for example, just put in a new line anywhere between the brackets like this:

|Natonality=Scottish
Note that every line in the template has to start with the "|" character. If you type in a description that isn't recognised then it won't affect the appearance of the page.

You might want to look to see how other composer's pages are edited, to give you a better idea of the format.

Good luck.
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

Please ignore my post (not approved yet) reporting that my Composer page as "deleted".
I see that's not the case. For the record, though -- my Name _had_ disappeared from
the 'Modern" list for several hours.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Peter M. Armstrong wrote:I gather that new works must be contributed via "Add Work". That page, however, mandates public-domain
status and GNU Free Doc Loc 1.2. I want instead Creative Commons BY-NC-ND. How am I to proceed?
The GNU license only applies to the wiki pages themselves, not the works uploaded to them, which can employ any of the license options available.
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

Davydov wrote:Hello Peter. The page you need to edit is your own composer category page:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Armstron ... r_McKenzie

You'll see that it currently has the following text:

{{#fte:person
|Born Year=1940|Born Month=3|Born Day=12
|Died Year=|Died Month=|Died Day=
|Time Period=Modern
|Biography Link=
}}
If you want to add your nationality, for example, just put in a new line anywhere between the brackets like this:

|Natonality=Scottish
Note that every line in the template has to start with the "|" character. If you type in a description that isn't recognised then it won't affect the appearance of the page.

You might want to look to see how other composer's pages are edited, to give you a better idea of the format.

Good luck.

So, it's really O.K. for me to go into somebody else's page and enter _their_ EDIT to look???
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

I've created 8 "Add Work" pages. They have yet to be populated by scores. Am I correct to surmise that, until I have uploaded at least one such PDF, my name will appear in the your composer list *only* when I am logged in? FYI, it will take me a couple more days now to do the uploading.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Peter M. Armstrong wrote: So, it's really O.K. for me to go into somebody else's page and enter _their_ EDIT to look???
Yes, entering 'edit' view without pressing 'Save page' will not actually change anything.
Am I correct to surmise that, until I have uploaded at least one such PDF, my name will appear in the your composer list *only* when I am logged in?
No, this is a cache issue and is not actually affected by the presence of files at all. The cache will clear within 3 days (almost never takes this long), and at that time your name will appear in the category listing of composers regardless of whether you have uploaded anything.
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

I am in "Add File" trying to decide on a file name (a re-name before uploading).
The instructions say to "use an identifiable filename with composer and work!".
I'm tempted to opt for "<my initials>-<work title>[-<part>].pdf" But I see several
other folks' file names starting with "PMLP[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]". Does
that represents an ID convention that I ought to be using?
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

Peter M. Armstrong wrote:I am in "Add File" trying to decide on a file name (a re-name before uploading).
I'm tempted to opt for "<my initials>-<work title>[-<part>].pdf" But I see several
other folks' file names starting with "PMLP[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]". Does
On the other hand, my original file names (here at home) are the ones I copyrighted.
Perhaps, for legal cleanliness' sake, I should not change them. As-is, they do *not*
(i.e., the names themselves) identify *me*. Is this O.K.?
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Peter M. Armstrong wrote:I am in "Add File" trying to decide on a file name (a re-name before uploading).
No, the PMLP bit is added automatically. You can name your files however you like (though it's simpler if you avoid typographical symbols, etc.). The file name itself will not be visible until someone chooses to download it to their own computer.
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

Carolus, please see my reply (to your Admin posts) on my Talk page. Thanks.
Peter M. Armstrong
regular poster

A new question, re *renaming* a file. I want to change the name of the file I am using both for my Composer
page ("PIC-") and for my Thumbnail ("TN-") as Performer on the Work pages of other composers.

So I have uploaded (via "Upload file") renamed copies of that file, following the option to save despite the warning that file-innards haven't changed.

But when I then edit the host page to invoke the new filename name instead ("|Thumb Filename=TN-<new name>.jpg"), the host page doesn't recognize this, displaying only a blank. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks, Pete