Moderator: kcleung

WilliamBunting
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

.dat files

Post by WilliamBunting »

How do you process a dat file?

The cello part of the Ritter arrangement here came from dat, the others from pdf (ex-Tarakanov).
It has been converted to pdf using GIMP.

http://imslp.org/wiki/La_serenata_(Brag ... llitzer.29
cypressdome
active poster

Re: .dat files

Post by cypressdome »

Hi William!

I'm having a little trouble following you. As the Ritter arrangement on IMSLP is only the piano score I'm assuming that you've acquired the cello part and the file has an extension of dat. If the file came from Tarakanov I'd suggest you try renaming the extension to pdf, tiff, or zip (as those seem to be the three main file types offered on that website) and see what happens when you execute it. I suppose another possibility is that the file you downloaded has been truncated in which case try downloading it again.

Good luck,
Cypressdome
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Imagemagick is able to convert a .jpg image into .dat. Then Irfanview complains that this .dat is a .jpg file with a wrong extension, but accepts to open it.

Please provide the site where you got this .dat, and I'll see what I can do.
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

coulonnus wrote:Imagemagick is able to convert a .jpg image into .dat. Then Irfanview complains that this .dat is a .jpg file with a wrong extension, but accepts to open it.

Please provide the site where you got this .dat, and I'll see what I can do.
The last item in this list contains about 10 works. The piano scores and violin parts are in pdf, the cello in dat.

http://notes.tarakanov.net/parttrio.htm

As for the Braga on IMSLP, the title is incorrect; it should read "piano score, violin and cello parts". The cello part is the last in the file. You will see that the quality is much rougher than the piano and violin parts.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

WilliamBunting wrote: The last item in this list contains about 10 works. The piano scores and violin parts are in pdf, the cello in dat. http://notes.tarakanov.net/parttrio.htm
Sorry, the last item has the name sbornik-struntrio-partitura.zip and it contains 3 pdf's of a Brahms Hungarian dance. Could be that the site managers "shuffled" this html page since your reply. Could you please provide the complete name of the zip? Or is there a "next page" button I missed?
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

coulonnus wrote:
WilliamBunting wrote: The last item in this list contains about 10 works. The piano scores and violin parts are in pdf, the cello in dat. http://notes.tarakanov.net/parttrio.htm
Sorry, the last item has the name sbornik-struntrio-partitura.zip and it contains 3 pdf's of a Brahms Hungarian dance. Could be that the site managers "shuffled" this html page since your reply. Could you please provide the complete name of the zip? Or is there a "next page" button I missed?

I'm not sure how familiar you are with cyrillic, so here is a guide:

On the main page click on

Партитуры (включая партии инструментов)
(ie scores)

then click

Произведения для дуэтов и трио
(ie duets and trios)
then on

Сборник, "Избранные фортепианные трио", клавиры и голоса инструментов, 2.4Мб. (ВНИМАНИЕ! PDF-формат)

(ie collection: selected piano trios p sc and parts Note: PDF)

The actual file is named:

sbornik-struntrio-partitura.zip

Brahms Hungarian Dance is only the first piece in the collection . Scroll down for Braga and Arnold.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

WilliamBunting wrote:[...]Партитуры (включая партии инструментов) [...]
You've lead me back to http://notes.tarakanov.net/parttrio.htm, nothing more.
sbornik-struntrio-partitura.zip
That's the one I already downloaded.
Brahms Hungarian Dance is only the first piece in the collection . Scroll down for Braga and Arnold.
If I got the right zip, its size is exactly 2.490.488 bytes. The size of the 3 pdf parts is 2.660.981 bytes. So how could other files fit into this zip? I don't see any other pdf's in the zip with pkzip -v or 7za l. Am I supposed to "scroll down" when I open either pdf, or when I view the parttrio page with my browser?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Sorry, I now understand that I have to scroll through each pdf! But there is no dat file! And of course the scan quality is not terrific. I can split the Serenata parts and append them to the present imslp piano part if you want.
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

Perhaps it depends what s/w you use to open the rar file with. On my office computer it produced two pdfs and a .dat. On my home laptop I just get an error message. I can see the pdf's name but can't read it.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

its a zip, not a rar.
7za gives this listing if I just ask the content without dezipping:
Date Time Attr Size Compressed Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------ ------------------------
2012-02-24 19:12:14 ....A 448265 423742 ˆ§¡à ­­ë¥ âਮ - áªà¨¯ª .pdf
2012-02-24 19:00:34 ....A 422746 398176 ˆ§¡à ­­ë¥ âਮ - ¢¨®«®­ç¥«ì.pdf
2012-02-24 19:09:22 ....A 1789970 1668146 ˆ§¡à ­­ë¥ âਮ - ª« ¢¨àë.pdf
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------ ------------------------
2660981 2490064 3 files, 0 folders
See http://www.7-zip.org/. I use the command line version.

The resolution of the 3 pdf's is about 150 dpi. None is really worse.