Bruckner Virga Jesse Bar 70

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

Mateusz Luczak
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Bruckner Virga Jesse Bar 70

Post by Mateusz Luczak »

I am wondering why all the scores of Virga Jesse in IMSLP and elsewhere miss the sharp in bass in the last measure of bar 70 before the two Gs. Even Alexander Reuter's score which is claimed to be derived from the manuscript does not have the sharp. And yet the sharp is there in the manuscript.
jossuk
active poster

Re: Bruckner Virga Jesse Bar 70

Post by jossuk »

I've just looked at the manuscript posted on the Austrian National Library site, and the bass notes in bar 70 are clearly written as
A-natural leading to the Gs. (Be sure to magnify the page to verify the notes.)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

You guys should contact Alexander on his talkpage to let him know of the error on his edition, he appreciates it.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Contrary to what Mateusz first wrote, the manuscript posted on the Austrian National Library site _confirms_ the accuracy of the Bruckner scores posted here for this work. Bar 70 of the bass part indeed begins with A-natural, following the A-sharp of the preceding measure. There is nothing to contact Alexander about, but Mateusz might wish to re-examine the manuscript.
Mateusz Luczak

Post by Mateusz Luczak »

There must be some misunderstanding here. The bass part in bar 70 in the manuscript looks to me like that: A natural A natural - G sharp G sharp. The question is not about A's but about G's. Most scores on the Internet omit the sharp sign. I cannot help clearly seeing the sharp sign (#) in the manuscripts and I noticed that because it did not sound right to me without the sharp. Is there anyone there who has access to some authoritative editions of Bruckner's Kleine kirchenwerke to verify that?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

I misunderstood your original post as to the placement of the sharp in bar 70, and you are quite correct: each of the non-manuscript scores is missing that G-sharp. Excellent catch on your part...
Mateusz Luczak

Post by Mateusz Luczak »

I have just obtained Kleinekirchemusikwerke Revisionsbericht (critical comments). Curiously, while discussing autograph sources and first editions, Nowak does not mention the discrepancy at all. So it seems that the sharp disappeared after the first edition...