6 Offertoires, Op.35 (Lefébure-Wély, Louis James Alfred)

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

dmitterd
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

6 Offertoires, Op.35 (Lefébure-Wély, Louis James Alfred)

Post by dmitterd »

Hi There,
Just to highlight an issue, the score loaded under Selections on this page (Offertoires 1 and 2) are actually by Lefébure-Wély's father, Isaac-François Lefébure-Wély, later Antoine Lefébure-Wély - the A Lefébure-Wély on the cover of the Selections thumbnail. The publishers of the Complete Score have attributed it to his son incorrectly. I am of the belief that the whole work page should be moved to his father's page, which I have created.

Many thanks,
Daniel
cypressdome
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: 6 Offertoires, Op.35 (Lefébure-Wély, Louis James Alfred)

Post by cypressdome »

I'm not convinced that the work isn't by Louis James Alfred. Op.35 is dedicated "À son ami Mr. Ambroise Thomas." Louis James Alfred (born 1817) would be more likely to address Thomas (born 1811) as a friend than Isaac-François (born ca.1752). Op.35 (as well as Op.34) was published by Canaux--more specifically Mme. Vve. Canaux (Canuax's widow). According to A Dictionary of Parisian Music Publisher Canaux started his business in 1839 and the imprint Mme. Vve. Canaux did not appear until 1842--11 years after Isaac-François' death. A posthumous publication during this era of a composer who appears to have had very few works published during his lifetime seems rather unlikely. The identification of the composer as the organist of St. Roch doesn't help since Louis James Alfred succeeded his father to that post after his father's death. We also have other works from this time frame (Op.19, 23, 29, 34, 38, 57) which list the composer on the cover or the first page of music as "A. Lefébure-Wély." The chronology of their publication fits Louis James Alfred's life.