Wikipedia article deleted

Moderator: kcleung

Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Wikipedia article deleted

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Bad news: The English Wikipedia article on IMSLP has been deleted. However, there are still the articles in German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch and Japanese, so there is no need to panic :)

The reason given was: "no assertion of notability".

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:N

I would suggest that we do not contest the deletion of the article. Instead, I suggest to use this thread to collect all "evidence" of IMSLP's "notability" (see the above reference) we can find. Then we can prepare and post a completely new version of the article. I believe that with a little effort we should be able to write an article that will not even run the risk of being nominated for regular deletion, let alone speedily deleted.

For example, my article in German, Italian and French was never nominated for deletion (while e.g. the French article on Mutopia was, though it survived). While this may be pure luck, I think this might also be due to the fact that I mentioned in the very first paragraph that IMSLP is "one of the largest" collections of free sheet music on the Web (so not "just another of many" :)). Of course, we should be able to find stronger arguments than that.

I think that the English article on CPDL is a fairly good example of what we should be aiming at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choral_Pub ... in_Library

Your comments and ideas please... :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

That is unfortunate indeed... I have a few links that may prove useful:

Proof that IMSLP is one of the largest music score sites (they have a nice summary too, though I don't know how notable that site itself is, but hey)

Official MIT recommendation

IMSLP is also used extensively in some of MIT's OpenCourseWare courses

A lot of other university libraries also link to IMSLP, for example, Manhatten School of Music, or McGill University (among a long list of others).

Also, IMSLP has been submitted to MERLOT by a MERLOT member (professor): see here

We could also compare the number of scores IMSLP has to Mutopia and CPDL... since they are deemed notable enough :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Maybe we should work collaboratively on the new article; I have started a draft, everybody feel free to edit, add whatever comes to your mind (I haven't even added everything from the above post yet), correct my shaky English...
http://www.imslp.org/wiki/User:Leonard_ ... edit.21.29

The CPDL article in Wikipedia claims "over 10,000 scores", but the CPDL homepage claims only 8496, if I'm not mistaken. That's still more than IMSLP, but it's the same order of magnitude ;). Mutopia on the other hand has less than 900.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

If nobody disagrees, I'm going to post the article in Wikipedia later today (keep your fingers crossed). In the meantime, feel free to add whatever further evidence of notability comes to your minds (or anything else you find useful, obviously). Maybe you could also have a quick glance at this short Google search and see if there is anything particularly worth mentioning.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... ry_Project

Keep an eye on it, and (to reiterate once more) add whatever evidence of notability you come across.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

The new WIkipedia article has **again** been nominated for deletion.

Please support the discussion AGAINST deletion here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... ject.5D.5D,
or improve the article here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... ry_Project
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

At least this time the article has not been speedily deleted, which is an essential step forward. I believe that chances are good that this article is kept, see also the old discussion on the CPDL article.

Some suggestions: if possible, take a quick look at the deletion guidelines before posting in the discussion; keep in mind that Wikipedia is not for advertising, so do not argue why IMSLP is worth supporting; instead, argue why it is notable enough to be included in an encyclopedia; and most importantly: stay calm and friendly!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Someone can also mention that it has been extensively used by lecturers at the West Australian Academy of Performing Arts and is linked to in the private website of a lecturer.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I think the chances of the article surviving the AfD is quite good (there are already 3 keeps and 0 deletes)... so I think we don't have to add any more to the long list of universities lol (actually, there are several more, but I thought the current list is long enough)... I'm also not sure what Wikipedians will say about a lecturer's private site... but thanks for the suggestion! :) I see your also from Australia... are you studying there?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I believe IMSLP contributors should stop submitting votes now; both Emeraldimp and Funper have voted, and any more votes would be "meatpuppetry" and actually evidence to *support* deletion.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Looks like you are quite familiar with Wikipedia diplomacy... :) I completely agree with your assessment.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I just picked it up fast that's all hehe :) After all, I do admin a wiki myself ;)

Also, is there a time limit as to how long these debates will be kept open? Because there are currently 6 keeps and 0 deletes and there is still no resolution...
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

From Wikipedia:Deletion policy:
"Pages [...] may be deleted after community discussion. [...] Here, editors who wish to participate can give their opinion on what should be done with the page. These processes are not decided through a head count, so people are encouraged to explain their opinion and refer to policy. The discussion lasts at least five days; afterwards, pages are deleted if there is consensus to do so. If there is no consensus, the page is kept [...]. Because the article deletion process sees a lot of traffic, a nomination that gets little response after five days can be relisted. [...] It is considered inappropriate to ask people outside of Wikipedia to come to the debate in order to sway its outcome. Such comments may be ignored."
(emphasis mine)

I have found no upper limit for the duration however... but I guess that if there is consensus after five days, the debate will be closed. (I have more experience with the Italian Wikipedia, which has different rules.)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

[q]I see your also from Australia... are you studying there?[/q]Yeah I am. I'm studying composition at Perth. I'm in my second year Bachelor but I completed a Cert course before that.