Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Orchestral Parts Project

Post by Yagan Kiely »

1 January 2009

Dear IMSLP Contributor, Member, Staff, Guest, or User

First of all I’d like to wish you a happy and prosperous new year and I hope you had a wonderful pre New Year holiday season. - To welcome the new year, I’m looking for expression of interest in an upcoming proposed IMSLP project. The Project involves the acquisition of a large collection of orchestral parts, and their upload onto IMSLP to access by all IMSLP users.

These orchestral parts are an extremely vast and priceless piece of information for the musical community, unlike the vast majority of IMSLP, these parts are for users to play rather than study that, in all practical situations proves mostly useless to perform with. This does not take away the usefulness of study, full, or reduction scores as they all play a huge role in the musical community. The addition of these scores to IMSLP will help improve IMSLP as well as provide amateur musicians to professional (and all in between) musicians free playable scores.

Since the project is of such a large scale (a rough estimate of ? 20 gigabytes) volunteers will be needed to fill several positions in main areas including (but not limited to):
* Administration
* Score Farming
* Logo Removal
* Copyright

This is a semi-long-term project, but the more volunteers the quicker it will be completed. If you are interested in contributing to the project in any way, please contact me at
yagankiely {at} gmail.com and please include the role you wish to fill. I implore you to read what is involved in the roles before contacting me. You can request to join any of the main roles, but bear in mind that Logo Removal and Score Farming (in that order) will require the most volunteers, while administration will require the least. Any small contribution will help the project along it’s way.
Let me repeat that this is of eminent value to the community and a priceless acquisition not just of IMSLP, but of you. Please help it come alive - yagankiely {at} gmail.com

Sincerely yours,
Yagan Kiely B.mus., Composer, IMSLP Administrator
Last edited by Yagan Kiely on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Having seen all of the excerpts offered, I'd like to say I truly cannot wait until these parts are uploaded. I mostly can't wait for Stravinsky, Dvorak, and Strauss, and the fact that none of the OM's included composers are PD in the U.S. both make me love this set and country more. Some key pieces seem to be missing, however; The Firebird and Ottorino Respighi's Pines of Rome.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The Stravinsky will not be uploaded onto IMSLP. But US users (who volunteer) are free to upload the files in a similar way that Daphnis has done for the full scores.

Would you like to help out?
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

No, I don't own any OM discs, and I know that Stravinsky can't be uploaded on here.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

You don't need to own any or have access to them.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

In which case, how could I help?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Logo removal mainly.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Because the OM logo is on all of it's parts?

I guess. I usually have nothing to do during the day (though school resumes on Monday), so I just browse the web.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

UPDATE: Missing link.

Details on what these partitions involve and any requirements for the roles can be found here.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

I read that before, and I guess it sounds alright. How would I do it, though?
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

A reminder: If you upload an orchestral part, please look at the page for the work and make sure that the file is listed under the correct heading. Any new file that you upload appears as the last file.

For instance, if the last heading in the "music files" section is "Excerpts, arrangements, etc."), and the heading before that is "Orchestral parts", you need to edit the page to move the file data for the rchestral part that you uploaded to the right spot under "Orchestral parts."

(Of course, this advice applies to any new files that you add to an existing work page.)

:wink:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
tilmaen
forum adept

Post by tilmaen »

Hi there!

i don't know how far the "Orchestra Musicians CD-Rom Library" project has advanced. however: i would volunteer to strip the Enigma variations (volume 7) of their Logos this spring break if somebody has them.
i probably would do this manually under linux using gimp. however, if somebody has developed a (semi-)automatic method i would - of course - prefer that and remove some more logos from the volume 7 files (if somebody has them - that is, my local library unfortunately doesn't have the CDs).

greetings
tilmaen
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Hi tilmaen, if you contact me via email or PM I'll give you the details.

Starting next week, I'll get fully into this project. I just got back from holiday so I had a valid excuse!
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Hi Yagan, could you rearrange the FTP folders - now it's confusing (there are some parts in the folder cdsm ??) . It would be good to write somewhere a manual or so - what do all these folders mean. Also good to keep track which parts have already been done. Which have been uploaded to the server, which have been cleaned, which have been submitted to the wiki, who is doing what.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

When I get an email back from Fledmahler, I'll finish the FTP manual. I've already got 5 pages of it completed, just confirming some stuff.
Also good to keep track which parts have already been done. Which have been uploaded to the server, which have been cleaned, which have been submitted to the wiki, who is doing what.
I'm hoping to use an excel sheet that will be on the FTP project, or a Google Docs spreadsheet. Apart from that, I'm not sure. Any ideas?

I've also finished a few other documents related to the project.