Messages from and Discussions about IMSLP

Moderator: kcleung

vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

MERLOT Award Ideas

Post by vinteuil »

Thought I just might create the suggestions thread, at least.
This is truly an achievement, and it will also generate a lot of press coverage by prestigious sources.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

We could probably show off a lot of the featured scores; I'm thinking that the complete Bach and Handel editions, as well as the Brahms first editions would be nice. We should also display the Schubert lieder, etc. as those are exclusively IMSLP and mirror sites (thanks aldona!), and maybe show off some of Daphnis's scans, in addition to some of the publisher pages, some well-designed pages, all the while stressing our rigorous copyright review, etc. (phew)
The Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart, Schubert, and Schumann string Quartets and Symphonies (!) would probably generate some oohs and ahs (especially the two different editions for the beethoven symphonies, and the parts of the Mozarts)
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Oh, and all of the solo piano sonatas (schubert, Haydn, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms), Schumann's Piano works...and, while we're at it, the concept of the hyperfine transition of neutral hydrogen :wink:
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

One major thing we need to work out right away is who can attend, especially administrators. Administrators who are attending can also be (co-)presenters, and as such will be able to enter the Conference for free. I assume there is a time limit for when they need to know who is representing IMSLP.

Lodgings are not included. The price tag is $132/night, but the room can accommodate up to 4 people at $20 extra per person (hence the minimum is $192 / 4 = $48/person/night, assuming we want to cram everyone into the same room). Perhaps there is a cheaper hotel close by. Airplane tickets are also not included I believe.

Also, I will almost certainly be there, which is a start.
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

http://conference.merlot.org/2009/

It says they're somehow going to support remote presentations in some cases if needed (remove viewing also I'd assume). It might help some of the administrators which are unable to attend in person participate live. Also the presentation could be posted online for others to see later possibly. A video presentation from a fairly well known conference would be good publicity for IMSLP.

Other music related presentations:
- Music Theory Learning Objects for Drill and Examination
- M.T.A.T. Multi-Tracking Audio Transcriptions

Other possibly related presentations:
- Why Wikis Wrule: Collaborative Co-inquiry with Wikis
- Copyright for Teachers and Librarians in the Digital Age
- Meeting the Challenges of Developing Accessible Web Content
- What Would Dewey Do?

(I didn't see an IMSLP section listed yet.)

In any case congratulations!
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

"Congratulations" from my husband as well (which is much more printable than some of his comments when I would be up at all hours of the night scanning and uploading Schubert-Lieder... :lol: )

And now he's humming "Do You Know The Way to San Jose" in the background - I think that's his way of saying he wants a US summer holiday. Maybe I should look around to see if there are any medical conferences on in the area at that time. :wink:

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Actually, I've revised my opinion.
We should first cover the basics to show off: complete Bach, Handel, Chopin, number of compositions, number of scores.
Then we cover the basic site structure.
We then emphasize the value for educational purposes: Methods for learning instruments, value of study scores, etc. This needs to be the bulk of the presentation, simply because of where it is.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

congratulations. there is a small chance I might be coming as I will be on holidays in the states around that period, but probably in new england...
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

It might be nice to mention the ever-growing collection of scores for the cello! As far as I know it is the largest free collection on the planet of Cello music. :wink:
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Generoso wrote:It might be nice to mention the ever-growing collection of scores for the cello! As far as I know it is the largest free collection on the planet of Cello music. :wink:
I actually stumbled on a post on a forum somewhere where they worshiped you like a god for uploading the cello parts. Apparently they wanted a violin Generoso too :lol:
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Wish I could go! Shame.
steltz
active poster

merlot award

Post by steltz »

In another thread I mentioned the fact that our university library is running out of space, and this is a BIG help. Someone else answered that also it is beneficial to libraries that have old brittle copies of music that they don't want in circulation, which of course IMSLP is brilliant for, because the hard copy stays in a storeroom and the students get the virtual copy!!

These are not main issues, but they are still important beneficial side effects, and therefore, selling points that you can add to your list of things to mention (read: brag about).

Other points: I have been trying for years to purchase a couple of chamber music items, one of which is JC Bach's Quintets op. 11 (Grove's listed them as outstanding, so I wanted them). Baerenreiter had one, but no one sold the whole set. We bought what we could, but couldn't get the rest at all. Now I have all 6 for my chamber music classes.

This is also a minor point, but the reason I mention it is that the publishing companies who are antagonistic to this project frequently can't give us what we need. In other words, most of us are not trying to cheat anybody out of money. I would have bought these if I had been able.

Seems to me that people just need to reply to say what they find most useful, and you'll have an endless list.
bsteltz
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

And often times, me personally and on more than one occasion, IMSLP having the scores is an impetus for purchasing a hard copy, the digital one tiding me over until I either purchase or receive it. So therefore we sometimes advertise for publishers, some who would threaten us illegitimately.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Thanks everyone for the ideas! Keep them coming and we will have a nice little program :-)
Peter wrote:congratulations. there is a small chance I might be coming as I will be on holidays in the states around that period, but probably in new england...
If you are going to visit Boston, I'd love to meet you over a cup of coffee, provided I'm in town of course...
Justin

Re: MERLOT Award Ideas

Post by Justin »

Congratulations to IMSLP! It will be nice to also mention about the awesome projects especially the newly launched Orchestral Parts Project.