Hummel Trumpet Concerto tiny error in score

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

frannbug
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Hummel Trumpet Concerto tiny error in score

Post by frannbug »

I refer to the Michel Rondeau piano reduction of the E flat version, 1st movement IMSLP223921-WIMA.1ef7Hum_1_Sco.pdf and also in the related Finale files downloaded with IMSLP223930-WIMA/Hum(1)Sco.MUS.
Bar 61, just before the trumpet's first entry: the top note of the first piano chord is a third too low - it should be top E flat and is in the score a C.

Having said that, I must express my gratitude that M. Rondeau has come to my rescue again with a far more pianistic rendering of this orchestral reduction than the printed version I was given to work on. I think most of the people who reduce orchestral scores for piano must have enormous hands and can manage fistfuls of widely spaced, fast repeated chords with the energy of a musical navvy, giving the impression that often gentle, restrained concerto movements are titanic works originally blasted out on a Berlioz sized orchestra!

For the rest of us there is far more comfortable oscillation style of M. Rondeau, allowing the wrist to pivot between two parts of the same chord rather than banging out fast repetitions - and seeing the original score I find much of what he writes is more accurate than the standard reduction, too. Every accompanist's nightmare is that of being handed a piano reduction and a limited timespan before its performance: so M. Rondeau, my hat off to you for all your efforts to preserve my piano and save me from early arthritis! Thank you, sir!