Does anyone have any PD Biber?
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Heinrich biber

Post by Lyle Neff »

"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

I knew about that...but there's soo much more...
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Other than facsimiles of MSS sources or early printed editions, the only Biber that might be in PD would be the earlier volumes in DTO (Denkmäler der Tonkunst in Österreich). Possible candidates are, to quote from the DTO website:

Band 11 (Violinsonaten), 20 (? Festmesse/Benevoli), 25 (Violinsonaten [Rosenkranz-Sonaten], alte Ausgabe), 49 (Messen), 50 Anhang (Lautenabsetzung), 59 (Requiem), 92 (Harmonia artificiosa-ariosa), 96 (Mensa sonora), 97 (Fidicinium), 106/107 (Sonatae tam aris quam aulis servientes)

Not all of these volumes would in the PD. And there are new 21st century DTO editions of the Rosary Sonatas, among other things, that would definitely not be in PD. Vol.25 was probably the source of the Kalmus edition of the Rosary Sonatas. It would be great to have all the PD volumes posted here, including any critical reports and introductory material, which are essential for understanding many of these works, especially the ones in scordatura. And as I've mentioned before, it would be great to have all of the PD DTO volumes uploaded. They are in many university libraries.

--Sixtus

Sea
reinhold
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by reinhold »

A search in the catalogue of the Austrian national library (http://aleph.onb.ac.at/F?func=file&file ... l_base=MUS ) reveals some printed pieces that should be in PD here in Austria:

-) Gavotte. Arr. von C. von Radecki. Vc., Pianoforte. (St.) - Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel o.J. 11793. 5, 2 S. (Lyrische Stücke für Violoncell und Pianoforte. 5.) Signatur: MS41926-4°. 3,9 Mus
Remark: The plate number indicates that the publishing year should be around 1870; Radecki died 1885

-) Gavotte. Bearb. v. C. v. Radecki. (Vc., Klav.) - Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel o.J. V.A.1411. S. 18-21, S. 7-8 (Lyrische Stücke für Violoncell und Pianoforte. Zum Gebrauch für Concert oder Salon. 1. Abt. No 5.) Signatur: MS39292-4°. 1,1 Mus
Remark: V.A. numbers were used until 1913; Radecki died 1885

-) Sonate c-moll. Bearbeitet für Violine und Pianoforte von Ferdinand David, revidiert von Friedrich Hermann. (Vl., Klav.) - Leipzig: C. F. Peters o.J. (8847.) S. 3-13. (Die hohe Schule des Violinspiels. Bd. I, Nr. 1.) Signatur: MS35607-4°. 1,1 Mus
Remark: Hermann died 1907, David 1873; the plate number indicates a publishing year around 1900

There are also some prints that are not yet in PD in Austria, since the editor died between 1939 and 1958 (so PD in Canada):

-) "Fünfzehn Mysterien für Violine und Klavier [...]" Nach den Veröffentlichungen in den Denkmälern österreichischer Tonkunst (12. Jg., 1905). [...] neu bearbeitet von Robert Reitz.
Bd I. Nr. 1-8. - Wien, Leipzig: Universal-Edition 1923. U.E.7283. 7283a. 42, 17 S. Signatur: MS7339-4°. 1 Mus
Bd II. Nr. 9-15. - Wien, Leipzig: Universal-Edition 1923. U.E.7284. 7284a. 46, 20 S. Signatur: MS7339-4°. 2 Mus
Remark: Reitz died 1950

-) The already mentioned DTÖ issue 11 (Guido Adler died 1941), issue 25 (Erwin Luntz died 1949) and issue 49 (Guido Adler died 1941)
Signatures: MS1580-4°. 25 Mus, MS65023-4°. 25 Mus LD , MS65023-4°. 11 Mus LD, MS1580-4°. 49 Mus (unchanged reprint 1960: MS7339-4°. 1 Mus)

(So, no DTÖ issues are PD here in Austria!!!)

No year given, no further information found:

-) Partita für 2 Violen d’Amore e Basso. Für 2 Violen d’Amore und Klavier von Cor. Kint. [St.]. Leipzig: Günther o.J. 16 S. 3 St. Signatur: MS50917-4°. Mus

-) Partita IV für Viola di Braccio, Violino und Bass. Bearbeitet für 2 Violinen d’Amore <oder Violine und Viola d’Amore> und Cembalo von Cor. Kint. [St.] - Leipzig: Günther o.J. 14 S. 3 St. Signatur: MS50918-4°. Mus

Cheers,
Reinhold
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

I've re-edited the F minor Requiem from the DTÖ volume (59); scores and parts are over at CPDL. And while it would be nice to have the entire Missa Salisburgensis I'm afraid I'm not planning on adding to the Kyrie already submitted! I've also done a typeset of the Battalia which needs a proof-read and could be submitted here.

The new DTÖ volume of the Mystery/Rosary Sonatas (under copyright) is a vast improvement on the earlier volume (now in the PD in life+50 regimes), which unfortunately is quite inaccurate owing to the editor (Luntz) not really getting his head around the scordatura - I forget which one it is, but one of the sonatas' violin parts is botched from start to finish; it might be the famous resurrection sonata where the second and third strings are crossed over at the bridge and tuned g - g' X d' - d", allowing melodic lines to be doubled at the octave. ;-)

ETA: I notice thanks to ctesibius we now have the 1681 Sonatæ violino solo (8 sonatas, 2 of which use scordatura) and the 1680 Mensa sonora, seu musica instrumentalis (6 quintets for strings and continuo) from DTÖ volumes 11 and 96 respectively, however the latter is probably a copyvio as the editor has provided a continuo realisation...
--
PML (talk)
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Hi,
I will upload soon the second volume of Violin Sonatas DTO 25. Possibly also the Masses
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi Ctesibius,

many thanks for Luntz's edition of the Mystery Sonatas in DTÖ. As I suspected, it is sonata XI which is "wrong" from beginning to end - specifically, of the three staves purporting to show the violin part, the top stave is what Biber wrote (and appears mostly correct at first glance, though I haven't played it through); the second stave is the purported notes sounding from the scordatura, except that Luntz's middle strings are routinely wrong (suoni falsi, you might say) and the third stave is presumably an attempt to make the sonata playable on a non-scordatura violin - except that this completely misses the point of the string swapping. I might have to make an edition of this sonata to upload as an alternative to Luntz.

The other drawback of this edition is that you have to look into the violin parts at the end of the volume to see the realisation of Biber's ingenious dispositions for the other scordatura sonatas – these would be better separated from the main score. Fortunately Luntz provides both Biber's original and the "suoni reali", so that violinists without the bravery to attempt the scordatura can instead play a slightly compromised version (some stoppings are rendered impossible or unplayable).

As there was already a page for the Rosenkranz (Mystery) Sonatas, I moved your upload from the generic catch all page for "Violin Sonatas". Have a look at the Biber worklist - besides the two collections now uploaded, there are four individual sonatas (C 107, 108, 146, and 147) and a couple of other works (Fantasia C 77, Pastorella C 106) for solo violin and continuo. Being individual works these would normally get separate pages, but could be compiled on a miscellaneous page (however, C 146 has its own page). The 8 Sonatae violino solo and the Rosenkranzsonaten on the other hand are important enough to warrant a page for each, and I'd already laid them out as such.

Thanks again, and regards, Philip

PS Did you take any higher resolution scans of the sixteen woodcut illustrations for the 15 sonatas and passacaglia?

EDITED TO ADD: The correct realisation of Sonata XI appears at the very end of the PDF on pages 149 – 154 of the file - obviously a later correction (that was missing from the version of DTÖ volume 25 in my local library! Hmm...)
--
PML (talk)
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Thanks Philip,
your did a fantastic page with previews and engravings.
This informative page should be added to as discussion in the Biber page. I believe lot of people can benefit of your comments.
Woodcuts. i can work on them after the xmas break.

Ctesibius
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Actually, my contribution to this thread is mainly me blurting away from memory, which is why I incorrectly described the illustrations as "woodcuts" - they are not - they are in fact copper-plate engravings.

Higher resolution would be nice (maybe not too high) but more importantly, getting them exactly aligned nice and square rather than being slightly askew would be best. I can do free rotation of images by some arbitrary angle, but the result always looks disappointing for small angles.

The layout at the bottom of the page was inspired by a CD cover I saw which had the 16 engravings laid out in a grid, just like that. :)

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

yep... the sonatas are also known as copper engraved's
Ctesibius
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

And on today's episode of "Biberwatch", I have the pleasure of announcing the availability of a new edition of Biber's Vesperæ à 32, for 8 solo voices, SSAATTBB chorus, and orchestra, first published here at the Petrucci Music Library by its editor, the noted musicologist Herr Doktor Werner Jaksch.

Many thanks to Notenschrieber for facilitating this, by means of introducing Dr Jaksch to the website and assisting with his first upload of a sizeable and hitherto unpublished mass by another of Biber's contempories and colleagues at Salzburg Cathedral, Andreas Hofer.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Hi,
other 2 important works have been added: Fidicinium sacro-profanum (1683) and Harmonia articiciosa-ariosa: diversi mode accordata (1696)
Soon the Sonatae tam auris quam aulis servientes (1676).

Ctesibius

http://imslp.org/wiki/Fidicinium_sacro- ... Franz_von)
http://imslp.org/wiki/Harmonia_artifici ... Franz_von)
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Many thanks for the Bibers. Now, on to Schmelzer!

--Sixtus
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

The two remaining scores that could be readily included (I won't say "easily") would be the Missa Salisburgensis (the Adler edition of 1903 and the MS facsimile) and Missa Bruxellensis (MS facsimile). Everything else will probably be miscellaneous typesets.

Well done Ctesibius (as you've already gotten a barnstar, your Biber contributions deserve a special award).

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)