Post by jolus »

Same here. Access is not possible via Web Interface, nor via app. :(
coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Naxos Music Library

Post by coulonnus »

Naxos has disappeared from the menu under the Navigation \/ tab.
geraldc

Post by geraldc »

Same here--anyone know what the problem is?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

And if in a workpage I click the image on one the CDs you see above Sheet Music I see the list of works of this CD. Then if I click on either work I see Your session has already expired!
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I assume one can take it as read and heard at this point that until the people who know how to solve this post that they've done so, it's not been solved :)
bennetthogg

Post by bennetthogg »

I have tried using Chrome and Safari, on a macbook pro, WiFi, and am getting the "your account has already expired" message, too. Another odd thing is that when I have recently tried to download a score the download starts, but then the URL changes suddenly and the page goes blank. Any fixes for this?
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

I'm able to play recordings on the workpages with no issues. I note last night, our leader updated the Naxos template that recordings from Naxos are now integrated into the website, I think before, it had to load the webpage on Naxos website to access the recordings.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

All this is much worse than before. You can no longer go to arbitrary compostions of the naxos library and you can not see and download booklets- Or do i something wrong?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hey guys,

We've just moved to an integrated setup with Naxos, recordings should be directly accessible from the applicable IMSLP page, see, e.g. https://imslp.org/wiki/Requiem,_Op.48_( ... ,_Gabriel). The reason you don't see many yet is because of the page cache.

Let me know if you have any trouble with the audio player.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

Before that change one could reach all works of NML, now only those which have a workpage at IMSLP. And informations from booklets are not accessible.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

as is a lot of other information; one could go to the Naxos work-information page about a work, or their "recent uploads" page, and etc.- none of that anymore. And not all the workpages that might have Naxos tabs- not nearly- I hesitate to guess what percentage do, in fact; those that do, are limited to 10 recordings, as against "as many as you liked to compare", previously.

Yes, I can -definitely- see how we gain from this. Tell me _more_.*

*Yes, there are works, even very large ones, where I appreciated the ability to compare a larger number of recordings than that. Especially since in practice those 10 recordings are mostly not of the work you're actually looking for, even when you had control over the search key, which you no longer do, it seems. (Wait, seriously?...)
kmoconno

Post by kmoconno »

Not to mention my hundreds of hours worth of playlists are now inaccessible... :x :evil:
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Never did have playlists, since I considered myself as logged on under the IMSLP account, not my own.

Ok, some pages have 25 Naxos CDs now (some Beethoven piano sonatas eg) up from the previous maximum of 10 displayable, some a rather incomprehensible 1 (only one recording of Berg's Lulu is a bit odd- is it limited because the work itself isn't PD where I am? Similarly Myaskovsky's Piano Sonata No.4, Op.27 and other works display with "N"s in the composer category - as they should, there are 2 or more recordings extant of each, one of each on Marco Polo/Naxos - but go to the page (here where I am) and sorry out of luck? (because the scores are CA-only?)

So in the negotiations to "integrate" Naxos and IMSLP, was there some request to make Naxos recordings available almost only when the scores were likewise available/public-domain in that user's area, and from which side of the negotiating table, as it were, did that request come? I'm liking this foolishness more and more. What's not to like?

Edit: not to give anyone any ideas (of the "don't jump off the bridge while we're gone, Timmy!" sort*) but I will say I'm glad that at least we're not restricted to just listening to cello/piano recordings of concertos for which we only have the cello/piano reduction. Because that seems to be the direction in which this (logic?) heads.

*Great. Now we -are- going to need another Timmy.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I'll be honest. We were blindsided and did not expect to be cut off from NML, it was a unilateral decision on Naxos's part. In fact, I was under the impression after a talk with their licensing director just two months ago that the current arrangement would continue indefinitely. Plus, our understanding of the contract is that Naxos cannot unilaterally terminate NML access anyway, something I specifically added in the contract. But fact is, it is their site and they did terminate access.

True, we had separately licensed a portion of the NML catalog (basically, everything they are able to license to us) which we can host independently of NML, but that was intended mostly to be used by the apps. After the unexpected NML termination early this week I spent the last three days writing the media player and updating the site to use the licensed portion of the NML. It is not a small portion (~38,000 CDs) and the audio quality is much better (almost lossless), and is the best we can do right now.

Looking back, I suppose Naxos got what they wanted. In a way they got us to pay them to advertise NML on IMSLP for two years. Maybe it was naive to think they'd undersell their own offering for too long, the contract notwithstanding. I'm sure there will now be some people who are hooked on NML and will spring for the $210/year or even the $315/year HD version. It's a good collection, so maybe that's the way it should be.

Upshot is, even though the collection we now have is a subset of NML, we control the files and have the appropriate license, so we can have it up as long as we pay Naxos the licensing fee. Perhaps at some point in the future it'd be possible to start an IMSLP record label and have the highest quality performances on IMSLP without all the legal and historical cruft of existing record companies. We are not there yet.